Some people have been freaking out over NBC’s recent announcement that President-elect Donald Trump would be keeping his title as executive producer of the network’s reality TV show “Celebrity Apprentice.”
The show, which returns to the air on Jan. 2, was conceived by Trump, and he hosted the show since 2004, according to Breitbart.
However, since winning the presidency on Nov. 8, hosting the show was no longer an option for Trump. Some critics have disagreed with him even retaining his executive title.
“Mr. Trump has a big stake in the show and conceived of it with Mark Burnett,” Trump spokeswoman Hope Hicks said in a statement to Variety. “Additional details regarding his business interests will be shared Dec. 15.”
When the show returns in January, Trump’s name will reportedly still be in the credits, after Burnett’s and before newly tapped host Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Schwarzenegger, another Apprentice executive producer and former California governor, was chosen by the network earlier this year to replace Trump as the host.
Although Trump will still be paid a per-episode fee by MGM, the producer of the program, a source close to the Apprentice told TMZ that the president-elect has no substantial involvement in the show other than his title. It was unclear what the per-episode fee was, but it is likely to be in the low five figures, at a minimum, according to Variety.
While some have been outraged over the decision, others weren’t that concerned about it.
“This is a non-story,” an unnamed source told TMZ. “Presidents don’t cancel pre-existing business deals when they get elected. They simply disengage from the decision-making process.”
This will mark the first time a sitting president will a paid producer for a TV show on one of the big four major networks.
Like us on Facebook – USA Liberty News
What do you think about Trump still getting pay from “The Apprentice” while president? Scroll down to comment below!