A senior White House official confirmed Thursday that Vice President Mike Pence will speak at the March for Life rally Friday, according to The New York Times.
LifeNews.com reported Pence’s participation will mark the first time a vice president has ever appeared in person at the annual event, which is expected to draw hundreds of thousands of marchers.
Pence has been unequivocal in his support for the lives of the unborn.
“Let me be clear: People who know me well know I’m pro-life, and I don’t apologize for it,” he stated at the Values Voter Summit in September. “I want to live to see the day that we put the sanctity of life back at the center of American law, and we send Roe v. Wade to the ash heap of history, where it belongs.”
— Heather (@heather_masten) January 26, 2017
According to LifeNews.com, former pro-life presidents, including Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush, spoke to the crowd at the March for Life via phone.
White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer stated at a briefing Tuesday that President Donald Trump will do something along those lines.
“I think it’s no secret the president has campaigned as a pro-life president. It’s something that’s very important to him, as evidenced from that Mexico City Policy reinstatement that he issued yesterday,” Spicer said. “We’ll obviously have heavy administration presence there.”
— The Daily Caller (@DailyCaller) January 25, 2017
White House counselor Kellyanne Conway has been officially confirmed as a speaker at the March for Life rally, which is slated to begin at noon Eastern on the Washington Mall near the Washington Monument.
As reported by Western Journalism, the Alliance for Fair Coverage of Life Issues announced its second annual #CoverTheMarch campaign Wednesday, designed to spotlight the bias in the media’s failure to cover the annual pro-life event.
The three major broadcast news outlets (ABC, CBS, NBC) gave it a total of 35 seconds of coverage last year. In contrast, the decidedly pro-abortion-rights Women’s March received at least an hour and 15 minutes of airtime.
The pro-life issue is certainly in the headlines this week with Trump’s reinstatement of the Mexico City Policy barring federal funds from being used to promote overseas abortions and the House of Representatives’ vote to permanently ban taxpayer funding for abortions.
Also drawing attention to the issue is the president’s impending announcement of a justice to fill the Supreme Court seat left vacant by the death of Justice Antonin Scalia. Trump has promised to nominate only pro-life justices.
Mallory Quigley, spokeswoman for the pro-life Susan B Anthony List, told Western Journalism that she is “very encouraged” by what she has seen already with the new administration.
“Donald Trump gave us four concrete commitments during the campaign, including appointing a pro-life Supreme Court justice; redirecting Planned Parenthood taxpayer funding [to medical centers that do not provide abortions]; advancing the pain capable bill, which would ban abortions after five months; and codifying the Hyde Amendment [which prohibits taxpayer funds from being used to pay for abortions],” she said, adding, “already so many of those things are moving.”
Quigley also noted President Trump’s interview with ABC News on Wednesday during which he highlighted the media’s failure to cover the March for Life in the past, despite the turn out being as large, or larger, than the Women’s March.
With the participation of Pence and Conway, among other luminaries, in this year’s march, as well as the airtime given the recent Women’s March, pro-lifers say the mainstream media have no excuse not to give Friday’s event significant coverage.
Like us on Facebook – USA Liberty News
What do you think? Scroll down to comment below.